Sunday 22 September 2013

Reality, or something like it...


Reality TV in my opinion is probably one of the most fascinating phenomenons I've come across. If I had to write a thesis or some academic article, it would be on the sheer disjointed and ironic relationship between "reality" TV and reality. Before you roll your eyes and regard me as just another person complaining about silly things, you should probably know that I brothers and sisters, am one of those people who gets sucked into the most brain numbing, I.Q decreasing reality T.V shows. It's a problem. Seriously, help me. 
What is most fascinating to me is how reality TV shows is how we all know that they are the farthest things from reality yet we are still compelled to find out what happens next week, "Did L.C and Audrinna make peace?" "will Snooki ever stop drinking pickle juice?". I feel like we convinces that somewhere in this world these kind of things actually happen and people live day in and day our with constant coincidental run ins and bitch fights. 
It's weird to think that there are people who actually get paid to sit down and brainstorm some of these gems that grace our T.V sets. Honestly I salute these fine men and women for finding probably one of the simplest creative gigs around.
Lets take a look at some of the various genres of reality show one might unfortunately stumble across while desperately trying to find something to watch while eating dinner.

From Shore To Dirty Shore

There are lot of things to be ashamed of in life, mine would be my choices in reality TV shows:/ I will admit that I have watched all of the above shows but only for empirical research! These are the drunken, puking, I hope my son or daughter never ends up like this" group of shows that bring nothing to your life except a sense of loathing due to the fact that you desperately need to know who passed out on the street in next weeks episode. There really isn't any substance to these shows and purely work on trying to get the most disturbing people to do some of the most unnatural party acts. Yet week after week, season after season people are drawn in.

Rich Kids Have "problems" Too. 



I'm not as connected to these as my Geordie and Jersey Shores but they still pack a punch. These tend to follow around a bunch of rich people and show us peasants the day to day struggle one might go through when rich. Again, no real substance yet people feel the need to know or somehow feel what it's like to live the life of the rich and famous. We all want look through magazines and think "what do these beautiful people do when they aren't on the red carpets".  I guess it's an easier version of bird watching, if birds couldn't decide between the Prada and the Vuitton bags and hated the way Gemma totally stole her stylist.

And Then There Was MTV...




If there has ever been a bigger breakdown in the pure fundamental purpose of a channel other than MTV please let me know, I would love to shake my head in disapproval. For those of you who are either too young or too dumb to have realised, MTV was actual once a musical channel. Actual day and night music channel. It's hard to juxtapose the two MTVs and say they are actually the same channel. MTV used to have the Real World and a few other funny reality shows which fed into the youthfulness of the channel, but were always 2nd and 3rd to the music. Now the money making aspirations connected to reality TV have clouded the purpose of one of the most world renowned channels and made into a tasteless factory churning out the most absurd backwards thinking shows.

Why? Why do we continue to watch all of this? why do we spend so much of our lives trying to convince our brains that what we are killing it with is valuable to our development and to the development of humans in general? Are we not just breeding a society of degenerates and low aspiring humans who's only dreams are to make it onto one of these shows doing the dumbest things humanly possible just to make a quick buck and get famous? We are a complicated species and in all honestly I commend reality T.V for testing our human nature. Hi-5.
If anyone has any answers to the above, you'll find me on the couch with my popcorn watching Charlotte and Gaz fight more on Geordie Shore. 
Don't Judge me. 
OK maybe a little.
xx  


No comments:

Post a Comment